So I have been holding off on this post for a while for a few reasons, the main one being I don’t like to ask for help. It’s one of my biggest challenges that I’ve struggled (and currently still do) with most of my adult life. This struggle stems from me being a child of addicts and the feeling that I don’t want to be a burden on anyone directly. But I’ve decided to lean into the uncomfortable and finally post about my current life space of searching for my next professional opportunity (aka looking for a new job).
Honestly, I am unsure in what direction I want my next move to be in and I am not good at talking about the things I do great. I would rather let my actions (for the most part) speak for me and what I do. I hope to list some of the things that I’ve done in the past and have really enjoyed doing and maybe you will see a job posting that you’ll share with me or you might have a job in your org that you would like me to be a part of OR maybe even help me be brave enough to venture out on my own and start my own business! Any and all ideas are welcomed! (including ones about leaving the education profession because that is also an option in my brain)
Here are some beliefs that I am committed to before I get into the list of things I have done.
- Life long learner – I love to put myself in a space that is uncomfortable in order to learn new skills. With the right support, org or group of people this is one of the main things I really continue to strive to do.
- Interacting and meeting new humans – in Hawaii we call this talk story. I love to talk story with people or also known as doing the the human “dance”. I enjoy watching, interacting and figuring out how humans work.
- Every human deserves a chance – I truly believe that all humans deserve a chance (more preferably a fair chance) to get access to or have the opportunity to try whatever it is their current passion is. Sometimes that passion changes along our journey of life but no matter what happens every. single. human. deserves that opportunity (even if it changes rapidly along the way).
Now for the things I have done and wouldn’t mind doing more of…
- Project manage/coordinate the production of the Illustrative Mathematics curriculum – I project coordinated Grades 6-8 curriculum and then fully project managed the Alg 1-Geo-Alg 2-Extra Supports curriculum project. I can schedule, plan, create and meet deadlines for anything that has A LOT of moving parts and components. (Check out all the pieces of the curriculum, I made sure we had the resources to get all that done)
- Write/review curriculum for students – I did work writing/reviewing lessons for a variety of students. I have a specific eye for being able to identify what students who are “behind” grade level need. I also have done work around designing classrooms for students who need to experience success in the system of school. Creating a space for learners who have been callused and have come to believe in themselves as unable to learn.
- Write/review professional learning for adults – I have done professional learning and coaching for teachers and have come to realize that I really enjoy this work. I have supported a few schools on Maui with in class coaching and planning. Mostly focused around 5 practices and various teacher pedagogical strategies.
- Driver’s Education – I really enjoyed being a driver’s education teacher and I think I did a pretty good job at it.
Here are a list of things I am interested in challenging myself with:
- Figuring out how to work with the Hawaii Dept of Education to meet the needs of more brown students and start the big uncomfortable and hard convos around equity, race, class, sex, etc. here in my home.
- Work with an org or group of humans to discuss, plan, create professional learning plans and school long term plans around bettering school systems to meet more students’ needs. Especially students of color.
- Get back into the Deaf Community and be able to either interpret or use ASL regularly in my life to communicate.
- Start my own school!
- Be able to have a hybrid position at a school that allows me to create a classroom that is a learning lab. Where I would be a coach and a teacher and my classroom would be come a learning space that anyone at the school could plan to visit and learn from and with. Students would get to watch their teachers and other adults on campus learn with them in their classroom!
- Some thing else that has not crossed my mind that you have thought up!
I am all ears and would love to chat with anyone about my next moves in life!